If you want to be able to afford the finest of medical care when you need it, then you certainly need - at least - a hospital plan.
In South Africa, you unfortunately cannot rely on government care. The current corona-virus pandemic is causing many people financial problems, with dropping income and in many cases no income at all.
The need for an affordable medical aid is now an extremely important concern that you need address ASAP!
If you have no medical aid...
The Corona virus is not the only reason to join a medical aid.
However, it is a real motivator for you to consider joining at least a hospital plan.
Covid-19 has no cure and can cause other severe respiratory complications leading to fairly lengthy isolation and ICU care.
Private healthcare, (because it may become impossible for you to access state care as the facilities become swamped with patients in need of care) is extremely expensive! R 19,290 per day! A week in high care costs upwards of R 66,500!
You can do the math when comparing the cost of a simple hospital plan against the unforeseen costs of two weeks in intensive care!
Can you now see why at least a hospital plan is vital for you and your family?
Before the Corona virus pandemic, the importance of guaranteed access to private hospital care was self-evident.
And this has not changed.
Aside from maternity needs, (which can cost upwards of R 40,000) we face the possibility of having to undergo many high-cost procedures such as:
- treatment of a gunshot would R 25,000
- hip replacement R 150,000
- renal dialysis R 220,000
- CT scan R 10,000
- heart bypass R 400,000
- tonsillectomy R 8,000
- grommets R 6,500
- hernia repair R 25,000
- let alone casualty costs for broken bones, stitches, x-ray and so on.
So, tell me you don't need protection against unforeseen and highly expensive hospital costs!
If you are a medical aid member...
You are not alone with your concerns on how to continue paying those high contributions, so you do not lose your valuable cover. Almost all medical aid members are experiencing this concern today.
One option is to choose in-hospital only benefits and pay day-to-day costs yourself.
After all, our highest risk of large, unforeseen medical costs lies with private hospital treatments.
We don't know when they may happen, nor do we know how much they will cost.
The risk of having no hospital cover and having to use South Africa's limited state health care facilities is an extreme concern, especially during the Corona pandemic.
Most medical aid schemes offer hospital only plans.
Naturally the contributions are a lot less that comprehensive benefit plans, which offer in and out of hospital benefits.
Here are three schemes to look at ...
- All plans offer unlimited in-hospital cover at any hospital you choose.
- They pay in-hospital ward, theatre, specialists, physio, medicines, MRI and CT scans and more.
- Emergency treatment and transport.
- Certain chronic medicines.
- They do have "added benefits" to differentiate themselves.
Fedhealth Medical Aid
is truly an exceptional medical aid because they really do offer the best, affordable, unique, value-added benefits of any scheme in South Africa.
All plans have excellent core in-hospital benefits and then offer you the safety of day-to-day savings should you choose to use them! You do not pay for the savings until and unless you use them!
So, if you choose NOT to use the savings, you have a hospital only plan!
Just look at their HOSPITAL BENEFITS:
- No overall annual limit private hospital cover, for emergencies and planned procedures.
- Unlimited network GP and Specialist covered at cost in-hospital.
- Treatment for selected procedures in a day ward, day clinic or doctors’ rooms.
- Unlimited Specialised radiology.
- Unlimited accident and emergency treatment.
- Emergency treatment at a trauma unit of a clinic or hospital, like stitches and broken bones – whether you’re admitted to the hospital or not.
- Costs paid for treatment at a clinic or hospital with a life- threatening condition where you are admitted immediately for further treatment.
- If medicines are not readily available Fedhealth will arrange for medicine or blood products to be delivered to the facility where you are being treated.
- Unlimited maternity covered at cost with network GPs and specialists.
- Specialised radiology, like MRI/ CT scans done in or out of hospital, is paid by the scheme and not you!
Premiums from as little as R 1,393 pm for a single member.
All Fedhealth options are structured to address your unique healthcare needs as they arise.
From generous maternity and childhood benefits for young families, to extensive chronic benefits for older members, or treatment in a casualty ward after falling off a mountain bike for daredevil members… they have you covered.
The Genesis Hospital plan
is rated as one of the best hospital plans in South Africa by the GTC Medical Aid Survey: Benefit and cost comparisons.
Genesis offers you:
- the lowest annual contribution increase of all South African medical aids over the last 9 years. Only 4,9% this year!
- amongst the lowest child contribution rates!
- the use of any doctor or specialist you choose as there are no compulsory networks!
- psychiatric treatment, so vital during this pandemic.
- out of hospital MRI and CT scans as well!
- pain relief for conservative back and/or neck (spinal/vertebral) conditions.
- surgical procedures done in doctors’ rooms
- cancer, stroke, motor-neuron disease, organ transplant and Hospice.
- BASIC DENTISTRY - yes cover for day-to-day and in-hospital dentistry!
Genesis does not “authorise” treatment for any admission to hospital. Instead, you are issued with a hospital admission reference number because, nor do they it interfere with any clinical decisions or protocols made by or recommended by your doctor(s).
Premiums from as little as
R 1,340 pm for a single member!
THIS IS A NO-BRAINER TO CONSIDER!
This medical aid is really a hidden gem!
They are the SMART CHOICE when it comes to affordable, hospital only cover!
Save up to R1 000 on per month when you choose to use an Associated provider.
Momentum Health offers you:
- a discount on your contribution if you elect to use a specific, listed private hospital!
- cover for certain specialised procedures/treatments, when clinically appropriate, in and out of hospital.
- Netcare 911.
- chronic benefits, at a discount premium depending on your choice of associated doctors or suppliers!
- no annual limit on maternity confinement and neonatal intensive care.
- maternity programme with 12 antenatal visits, including a urine test, 2 pregnancy scans and 2 visits to the paediatrician during the baby's first year, plus a home visit from a nurse!
- no annual limit for MRI and CT scans, magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography, whole body radioisotope and PET scans.
- preventative screening tests, certain check-ups and more.
- free talk to a doctor, anytime, anywhere!
Momentum offer you great cash-back rewards and partner discounts with Multiply.
Make healthier lifestyle choices, so you can reap the benefits like, rewards for being active - up to R3 000 per family per month to help pay for day-to-day healthcare expenses - free yearly health assessment at a Dis-Chem, Clicks or Pick n Pay Pharmacy or Multiply-affiliated pharmacies!
Premiums from as little as R 1,706 pm for a single member.
Momentum Health ranks among the top 3 open medical schemes and are administered by one of the biggest and most credible healthcare solutions companies in South Africa.
What you should do.
1. If you do NOT HAVE A HOSPITAL PLAN ... JOIN TODAY!!
You are taking a high risk without cover.
You know that!
Get a quote or contact me if you have questions by using the form below...2. If you are a MEDICAL AID MEMBER
and any of these options interest you, your next step would be to investigate whether your scheme will allow you to downgrade your plan, if you want to reduce your premium.
All medical AIDS allow a change of plan during a window period at year-end and some will allow a change during the year, with sufficient motivation for such a move.
If you are not able to change plans, maybe look to an alternative scheme?
Just be aware you could get waiting periods when joining a new scheme, but that may be acceptable when considering no medical aid at all!
Many members of comprehensive medical aid plans, who change to in-hospital benefit only plans, have great enough savings to also invest in a Top Up plan as well! That means they then have a healthcare plan that pays hospital costs in full - no shortfalls and no procedure co-payments! Better cover than with their old, comprehensive plan!
Talk to us. After all, we have been in the medical aid business for over 30 years.
We know the options you can consider. And if we don’t we know we will find out for you – quickly!
We deal with a number of medical schemes.
If you appoint us to your medical aid – at no added cost for you – we can investigate this for you!
And give you some ideas and costs you can consider.
Terms and conditions do apply.
I want a quote
If a hospital only benefit plan interests you, please contact us.
We can help you at no charge.
We have a Facebook page as well ...
one of the largest Internet sites for medical and biotechnology journals, associations, databases and other resources.
Medical Aid Authority Peter Pyburn.
South African rights reserved.